St. John’s School has its origin in two private schools established in Concepción in 1936. The first one was founded by Mrs. Grimsdtich and started to work, attending the British resident community, in a private house on Rengo Street.
The other school began to work at the eaves of the St. John’s the Baptist Anglican Church in Pedro de Valdivia St., under the direction of the pastor, Mr. John Hemmans. With the World War II, the British Government of that time wanted to reinforce its presence in all those places where there were specific interests. Since in the region there were mining interests established for some time in the Lota area, as well as commercial and shipping interests in Concepción, the British authorities through the British Council decided to support for the foundation of a British School in Concepción. This is how Saint John’s School is founded in 1942 in Pedro de Valdivia St, whose first director was Mr. Reginald Close.
In 1944, Mr. Close was replaced by Mr. Thomas Goodall, who stayed in the position until 1946. In 1947 Mr. George Knight became Head Master, who would remained in the office for 22 years. During that time and under his right direction, the school grew in importance and started to attract people not necessarily connected to the British community and it soon became a school serving the entire community of Concepción. Likewise, the prestige of the school grew and became a benchmark among the schools of the area.
In 1975, Mr. John Caselaw assumes as Head Master, who establishes the Infant School (Kindergarten) and continues with the growth process of the school. The logical consequence of such expansion was the creation of the secondary education in 1976. Thus, Saint John’s graduated its first students of year 13 in 1979.
The progressive improvement of the quality of education in St. John’s became a reality with the incorporation of the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program in 1989, which meant a qualitative leap of great importance for the school, by establishing a recognized international standard of quality education as one of the academic goals of our school. This situation also provided a distinctive hallmark to St. John’s.
However, and despite the improvements of academic type it was clear that with the sustained growth in the number of students, the Saint John’s facilities would begin to become insufficient. In 1992, coinciding with the 50th anniversary, an additional building was inaugurated in the site of Pedro de Valdivia, with the aim of replacing the lack of space and also to accommodate the increasing demand for the school. Despite of the above, the deficiency in infrastructure began to be increasingly evident, especially considering that the school had sport fields that were far from the school and forced our students to spend a lot of time travelling from the fields. This had a negative impact on the sport practices so important for Saint John’s.
This is why in 1995 the project of a new school was born in a completely new site. This should include modern facilities and sport fields of excellent quality. Unfortunately, the economic crisis at the end of the 90s caused a significant delay in the realization of the project.
The new millennium finds St. John’s still in its traditional place in Pedro de Valdivia, but the desires to realize the dreams of a new school subsist. This is finally fulfilled in 2005 with the inauguration of the new building and sport fields of St. John’s in El Venado farm in San Pedro de la Paz. All of the above thanks to the tireless management of the board of directors of that time and the Head Master, Mr. Alan Ripley.
St. Johns has always been characterized by the following values: academic excellence, spirit of growth and innovation and vision of future. Such characteristics place it in a position of privilege in the context of the region and pose a promising future.